Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Path to Happiness isn't Always so Happy

I spend a lot of time thinking about the path to happiness and if there is one  thing I've learned so far is that one spends a great deal of their time being unhappy while on that path.  The greatest light bulb moment on this path has been this one thought;  in order to stay on this new path, I have two words that must be said...I'm Sorry.

Those same words that we struggle with when w're three years old, are just as difficult to say when you are an older adult.  Those simple yet painful words, are the consequence of ugly words, ugly thoughts and even uglier still, mean and manipulative behavior.  In my last blog, I touched on the concept of forgiveness
of self and others, but this week I had my own A-ha moment.  In order to fully embrace the concept of forgiveness, I needed to apologize...to everyone.

The mere fact that I was so obtuse to the hurt I was inflicting on everyone in my path is in introspect, shocking and embarrassing.  My own bad behavior was getting in the way of my happiness and those around me.  In that A-ha moment I also realized two things that I suppose are those "better late than never" truths:

If you demonstrate loving actions towards others, it inspires loving feelings from them...right back at-cha.  Ummm....that was a cathartic moment when you realize that you aren't treating those around you with any loving actions.  In a nutshell,it boils down to this; if you want to change the way you feel and how others feel about you, you simply have to change your actions.  Who knew that it would be such a simple concept that is changing my life.

Anger and manipulation aren't a way of life.  They're (at least I think so) a defense mechanism for the only form of self-preservation that I knew.  Right about now, the only one that I'm angry with is myself.

What gets in the way of your happiness?  Comments are always welcome but if you prefer privacy, you can always drop me a line @nancyking57@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment